Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Ruby Lustre Tile


This time it's one of William De Morgan's ruby lustre animal tiles in an appropriate frame, William De Morgan being a very famous potter of the Arts and Crafts Movement in England. (I keep wanting to put a 'Pickering' in there, but no, that was his wife Evelyn, the painter). He made a whole series of animal tiles, hares and hedgehogs and owls and even one with a kingfisher spearing a fish; I'm not entirely sure what this thing is, but I'll bet he got it from a medieval manuscript. It has that naive little-kid feel to it (though his other animals were quite wonderfully naturalistic). I suppose we can just call it a 'monster' and leave it at that.


The frame is oak, with decorative copper studs in the corners.


The back has little hooks and eyes and a new piece of string, courtesy of Joe:


Now Joe just needs a wall.

***

Both the tile and frame are out of matboard, again; I painted the lil monster on in acrylic, then gave it a coat of (of all things) Elmer's glue. I was looking for something thick and glossy; I tried gloss acrylic medium at first, but even thinned down it left obvious brushstrokes (I was using the kind artists use for painting, because it's what I had). It just wasn't the right consistency. But the glue worked fine, though it left a few bubbles in the 'glaze' (which is a real no-no in actual ceramics). Still, it's surprisingly convincing, I think, for all that it's just a piece of cardboard.

I made the little eyes out of earring loops that I twisted around (the wire I had was pretty soft, and I didn't trust it to hold its shape). The 'string' is a single strand of embroidery floss twisted and looped back on itself, then tied around the eyes, and glued down, so the weight (such as it is) isn't actually on the eyes themselves. I know in most one twelfth scale dollhouses paintings are simply glued directly on to the wall; I quite like miniatures to be 'workable' as much as they can be, though of course it's easier to get away with it at one sixth scale, because things like gravity actually start having a hold on things. Who knows, when I actually hang it in his living room (when I make his living room) I made end up yanking the eyes out and gluing it to the wall anyway. But for now, it's a thing unto itself.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 31, 2017 at 6:06 AM , Blogger Marisa said...

Hi Thalia
Im trying to follow your blog but it wont let me do it, I'll keep trying.

Hugs
Marisa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home