Sunday, July 6, 2014

Joe's Scarf

I've been researching Craftsman bungalows, to the point where I went to this place called a library and (legally) borrowed these things called books, in the hopes of figuring out how to configure the house that Joe wants. Because he wants a Craftsman bungalow, with the built-ins, and the lovely woodwork, and the earthy color palette. There are some pros and some cons to the things, though. One pro is that they tend to be small, and efficient, space-wise, which is good in a dollhouse, especially a one-sixth thing, which is going to be huge anyway. But on the con side, they are almost always built for narrow but fairly deep city lots, meaning, the short part of the house is the front, which is not helpful for a dollhouse, unless I figure out how to make it two rooms deep, which will entail hinged outer walls, which I kind of don't want to get into. They are also generally one storey, though there are sometimes a couple bedrooms upstairs. I think I would like Joe to have a living room, kitchen, dining room, two bedrooms and a bath.

I've done some sketches but it is tricky figuring out how to lay out something that by design has to be so one-sided. I especially want to have a lovely staircase in there somewhere.

So as I am pondering that, I have been making (or starting) a few random things, one of which is this little scarf for Joe.

I have a whole bunch of 20/2 wool (that's very tiny, like crewel-embroidery size) from the time a few years back when I was on this serious natural dyeing kick. Since I was looking to experiment with as many different colors as possible, I kept the skeins small. I had no idea at the time what I was ever going to actually use them for but I am finding they come in quite handy now. And because they are naturally dyed, all the colors have a lovely complexity and earthiness to them, which suits Joe and his Craftsman tastes just fine. Here's the scarf:


It's in seed stitch and I knit it with two bamboo skewers, the kind you'd use for shish-kebob. I sanded them a bit because they tended to be a little splintery, but they worked just fine. Here it is on Joe:


Poor Joe could use some shoes. He used to have a pair of combat boots, but they're lost now and anyway I think had a hole in them, not from wear and tear but because my little sister chewed a hole in them when she was a kid.

Anyway I picked a whole bunch of skeins in colors that harmonized, then picked two at a time to knit; I knit both together for a while, then switched one out for another color while still keeping the first, then after a while switched the first out for another while keeping the third (I hope you can follow that). It gave it a nice subtle color variation and I really like how it came out, such that I might try the same thing with a 1:1 scarf one of these days.

It looks good on Joe, don't you think?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home